Chances are if you walk into a dog park, you are likely to find a Labrador named Bella. That is the most popular dog breed and name along the Front Range.
Rocky Mountain PBS I-News and 9News gathered data on more than 130,000 pet registrations from Colorado Springs to Boulder. The data found:
- Labradors were the most popular breed at 18,826 or one of every seven registered dogs. They were followed by Chihuahuas, 6,782, and German Shepherds, 6,811.
- Bella, Buddy and Max were the most popular names at 1,481, 1,249 and 1,225, respectively
- Sports figures tended to dominate pets named after celebrities. There were 52 Kobes (Bryant), 35 Melos or Carmelos (Anthony) and 32 Magics (Johnson).
- Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning beat out his boss, John Elway. There were 51 Peytons and only 19 Elways.
- Elvis remained the King among celebrities with 90 pets named after him.
- Hip Hop star Bow Wow only had one dog named after him. However, 19 lazy owners named their pets “doggie” or plain old “dog.”