Town of Lyons: Utilities Largely Restored, and That Isn’t All

The popular Boulder County mountain town of Lyons, devastated by the September floods, actually began its rebirth with ghosts and goblins. The town welcomed long-evacuated residents back with its annual Halloween festivities, a reopening of the Main Street business district, and the promise of returned utility service to many residences.

The town’s infrastructure sustained heavy damage, with electric, water and sewage systems all being knocked out. In order to return, there was a progression that had to be properly observed, Town Administrator Victoria Simonsen explained to I-News at Rocky Mountain PBS. “You have to have sewer before you can have water, and you have to have water before you can have gas,” she said.

Now, another critical component to the town’s revival can be added to that list, according to Quintin Young of the Longmont Times-Call. Lyons is getting back its mojo.

“Like everything else in Lyons, live music venues were shut down by flooding in September,” Young wrote last week. “This was especially painful in Lyons, where music is an essential component of the community character. The town is home to many professional musicians, and it’s brimming with music lovers. Planet Bluegrass, the concert producer and ranch located just northwest of downtown, is the site of two annual world-class music festivals.”

In fact, the first live concert happened on the night the town reopened, Halloween, when Halden Wofford & the Hi-Beams cut loose at Oskar Blues Grill & Brew, according to Young.

He also reports that Planet Bluegrass, underwater at the height of the flooding on the St. Vrains River, had promised to be back in business by the 2014 festival season and that the Planet staff had returned to on-site offices last week. That move was “our biggest milestone yet of our rebirth,”  Planet spokesman Brian Eyster told the Times-Call.

So, sewer – restored to 90 percent of the town, with the remaining 10 percent expected in two weeks  –  water, electricity, and now music.

Lyons is getting back its mojo.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *